Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cantu- Ch 8, 10

In Ch. 8, perhaps the biggest thing that I took from this is that a effective teacher is able to relate what he is teaching his students to their lives. What about Ancient Greece relates to our lives today? Not only does this make it more interesting, but it shows relevance and most students need to see how subjects can be relevant.

Standard 2 in Ch. 8 is very important, I believe. Being able to assess credibility of a source and analyze it is very important in history. This also links with Standard 3. I think a good idea for a lesson is to present several sources to students and have them pick which ones seem credible and have them analyze it in different ways.

Chapter 10 is something I may struggle with more during teaching. I was never that interested in Economics. I have a very basic education level with this subject and it needs improvement. I believe the best way to teach about economics in a history classroom is to relate the subject to historical events. You can ask questions such as:

How do you think the economy in England was effected after the Boston Tea Party?

Other than this, I am not sure how to implement this into my classroom effectively. I think keeping up with current events in the classroom helps with this.

Big question: How can I implement Economics effectively into my history class while not having to spend too much time on it and taking away from other topics?


Weblink: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/ancient_greeks/

No comments:

Post a Comment