Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Cantu Ch 11

I have always found geography very to be a very interesting topic. I love learning about different countries as well as different characteristics of these areas. It has always been a sub-topic of social studies that I feel I have excelled more in given the appropriate resources to learn. If I had the opportunity, I would probably prefer a position as a teacher in geography instead of any other social studies topic. Having said that, there are plenty of ways to teach geography through different class subjects.

If I had a normal social studies class with a primary focus on history, I think throwing geography elements into lessons is very important. It can be a good starting point to units. For my unit Ancient Egypt, I had to make sure that students were knowledgeable of where Egypt is present day as well as key features of this area such as the Nile River and location on the Mediterranean Sea. Talking about other areas of the world should always start with a basic geography lesson to establish a base knowledge for students to grow on.

Question: Should geography take priority as a subject over other social studies topics such as history and government?

Picture:

Weblink: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Geography.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment