Monday, November 4, 2013

Lies My Teacher Told Me Ch 11

This chapter focuses a lot on the ending of textbooks used in the classroom. Having barely read textbooks from a high school class, let alone get to the end of one, I was not sure what to think of what he wrote. He wrote that textbooks end with optimism and saying that there is progress. While I do believe that there is progress in some aspects in history, there is not progress in all aspects. I like the idea where you can lead a discussion about what you think will take place in the future after the end of a textbook. Will things revert back to old ways? Will there be progress? I think if I ever was in this situation, I would take this approach. I do not like using textbooks in the classroom though so this will probably not happen often.

One last thought is that it is important that when discussing this with students, make sure they know how to make a difference after they decide what they think could happen to our future. Show how important civic involvement is to help this country.

Question: Why do schools focus on textbooks so often if they are proven false, in some occasions, and ineffective.

Picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment